You’re going to be a parent, congrats! Preparing for a baby is exciting, but it often comes with an onslaught of unsolicited advice, mounds of hand-me-down baby gear and clothes, and some unexpected anxiety. While all of these are not necessarily bad things, it’s important to take a moment and think about what YOU want to do to prepare for your little one.
Given that hindsight is often 20/20, we asked our Tinyhood community to share what, as parents, they wish they knew when preparing for baby’s arrival. Below are some of their most helpful answers:
- You don’t need all the baby things the internet says you do.
- It’s so hard, and it’s okay to distance yourself from people who are actively making it harder
- Being touched out is a real thing. Don’t be afraid to talk about it
- Breastfeeding is non-stop, hurts and is hard.
- You need a support system for more than just birth
- Newborns are naturally loud sleepers
- Most of what you’re feeling is normal, even if it doesn’t feel it at the time
- No matter how much research you do, breastfeeding is hard at first, but it gets better!
- It’s ok if breastfeeding doesn’t work, fed is best
- You WILL sleep again.
- While nothing is the same, you will learn to love your new normal
- Babies eat A LOT.
- You’ll be better at it than you expect.
- How much energy goes into timing things “just right”. Feeding, sleep, rest, etc.
- Babies cry a lot, but it’s ok and normal
- The first month is HARD. You may not feel like it, but it’s going to be OK.
- You’re going to feel like a failure sometimes but that doesn’t mean you are!
- Yes, it’s hard. Yes, you’ll be tired, Yes, you may feel out of your mind. But it’s all totally worth it because the love you feel is truly indescribable.
The most important thing to remember when preparing for your baby’s arrival? Knowledge is power. So arm yourself with not only these tips and tricks of experienced parents, but also expert advice so you can go into childbirth and parenthood with confidence. And, our Expecting bundle will help you do just that.
The Expecting Bundle consists of our two most popular classes: Childbirth 101 and Baby 101. In these two on-demand classes, labor and delivery nurse, Ashley Dederian Sousa, will guide you through everything parents wish they knew when preparing for baby. From how to know when labor is near, to pain management options, birthing positions and more, Childbirth 101 will help you advocate for yourself and baby during labor and delivery. In Baby 101, Ashley will prepare you for taking care of baby by teaching expert diaper-changing tips, how to bath a newborn, care for their umbilical cord, optimize their sleep and more.
Want even more expert advice? Check out our FREE breastfeeding class.